CYMBL909 is a dual-voice module containing the TR-909's Crash and Ride cymbal circuits adapted for use in eurorack modular synthesizer format and tested to sound like a fresh machine coming off the assembly line back in the 80s. In addition to the range provided by the original circuits, Tiptop Audio has added some great new features that expand this module's sound palette.
The original circuits use a combination of low-fi 6-bit sound samples which are passed through a series of analog elements that provide envelope and filtering to the source sounds. The CYMBL909 module adds manual and voltage control of the samples' analog tuning sections, creating tones that range from heavy/industrial at the low end to the original crash/ride sounds at the midrange and bright, hats-like sounds at the top end. Modulating the VC-TUNE parameter with an envelope, CV sequencer or LFO makes interesting 'sound bending' effects that can be used either in or out of sync with the triggering of the sounds themselves.
Just like the other drum modules in this series, CYMBL909's high-powered output gain stage allows you to further enhance the sound through distortion and clipping. Tiptop has designed a dual pulse-shaper circuit on each gate input so that you can trigger CYMBL909 with trigger/gate signals from step sequencers, clock dividers or any other pulse/clock sources.
- Module controls
- LEVEL knobs: Master output gain level for each drum channel
- TUNE knobs: Manual tuning controls for the source sample in each drum channel
- ACCENT knobs: Act as fine controls over output gain level when the LEVEL knob ranges are too coarse
- Patch points
- VC-TUNE: Allows for voltage control over TUNE parameter on each drum channel
- ACCENT IN: Using these jacks breaks internal routing of ACCENT knobs and allows for independent voltage control over accent regardless of incoming gate signal
- CR GATE: Gate trigger input to trigger crash cymbal sound
- RD GATE: Gate trigger input to trigger ride cymbal sound
- CR OUT: Audio output for crash cymbal
- RD OUT: Audio output for ride cymbal
- Physical specifications
- Size: 8hp
- Module depth: 46mm
- Power usage: -12V @ 60mA, -12V @ 40mA