Kilpatrick Audio K4815 Pattern Generator Eurorack Module
Kilpatrick Audio K4815 Pattern Generator packs incredible power into a small 20hp Eurorack module that offers virtually unlimited creative potential for modular players.
K4815 Pattern Generator can produce notes and varying control voltages for a wide range of musical applications, and its unique approach to music creation is sure to have you finding new melodies and rhythms never heard before. Unlike a step sequencer, where the player picks each note in a sequence, K4815 Pattern Generator creates sequences by combining a scale, a visual pattern (as shown on the display) and a sequence playback motion to determine the rhythms and notes that are actually played. Other parameters can adjust the note and sequence length, as well as the transposition, direction of playback and so on.
K4815 Pattern Generator is fully analog and MIDI compatible. The MIDI interface is available on an internal connector and is compatible with Kilpatrick Audio K1600 MIDI Converter. The analog connections support three inputs for connecting analog clock, analog control of the playback direction and pattern playback reset. The CV and GATE outputs are high performance analog outputs for controlling VCOs and envelope generators. High quality 12-bit DACs ensure accurate tuning, and jumper selectable voltage offset and trimming are provided internally to allow integration with most modular equipment.
Notes are not the only things that can be produced with K4815 Pattern Generator. In the alternate X/Y mode, varying voltages are produced on both the CV/X OUT and GATE/Y OUT. By using the X/Y mode, the playback position creates varying voltages and MIDI control changes, which can be used as a source of modulation.
The essence of any sequencer is the clock. K4815 Pattern Generator has a high stability internal clock that can generate a wide range of tempos. The unit also supports analog (5V) clock on the CLOCK IN connector or MIDI clock. When the internal or analog clock is used, MIDI signals are generated automatically, making the system a useful MIDI clock generator or converter.
Pattern generation concept
New ways of creating melodies and control signals help to break new ground in music and sound. K4815 Pattern Generator helps you explore new melodies and rhythms using a unique concept of generating patterns. Unlike random pattern generators or ones based on various mathematical concepts, K4815 Pattern Generator bases its music-making foundation on simple scales, visually-designed patterns and intellectually-designed motions. These three elements can be controlled by the player in real time to create an enormous variety of sounds, all accomplished in a visual way that is fun to use. Everything happens on the 8×8 LED matrix, which is both a visual indicator and a conceptual view of how the system works internally. Scales, patterns and motions are all mapped to points on the matrix, which show in real time exactly what is happening.
K4815 Pattern Generator's concept can be thought of as three distinct layers:
- Scales: Underneath the 8×8 LED matrix are the notes, which are assigned to each of the 64 points on the grid. The selected scale can be major or minor, large or small; these are selected with the MAJ/MIN and LARGE/SMALL switches. Only four choices might seem like a limitation, but what happens on the other two layers ultimately affects the rhythms and melodies that are produced.
- Patterns: Patterns are visually designed icons, symbols and patterns that define which notes will play; they are shown in the background at all times. There are 32 patterns that can be selected with the PATTERN TYPE knob. If a point on the 8×8 LED matrix is lit, the underlying scale note is active. If the playback head lands on that point, its note will play.
- Motions: Motions define how a sequence is played; each motion defines up to 64 steps in a sequence. Each step can land on any of the points on the 8×8 LED matrix; if a step lands on a point which is lit, a note will play. There are 64 different motions, some sequential or musically-designed and others more abstract or geometrically-designed. By using MIDI, it is possible transpose the scale and also to start and stop motion playback with note commands, changing K4815 Pattern Generator into a special type of 'auto-arpeggiator.'
- 64-LED 8×8 multi-brightness grid to show patterns and playback
- Clock control via internal clock, MIDI or analog (5V) clock
- Clock, direction and reset inputs (0V/5V = off/on)
- CV/GATE or X/Y outputs with -5V to +5V range
- High-precision 12-bit DACs with internal trim adjustment
- Internal MIDI header compatible with future Kilpatrick Audio modules or DIY breakout boards
- Only 30mm deep (including ribbon cables)
- Designed and made in Canada using high quality parts
- Physical specifications
- Size: 20hp
- Module depth: 30mm including ribbon cables
- Power usage: 80mA @ +12V, 10mA @ -12V
|Depth||30mm (including ribbon cables)|
|Module Power Usage||80mA @ +12V
10mA @ -12V
Kilpatrick Audio Limited Warranty
Kilpatrick Audio products carry a one (1) year warranty covering parts and labor. Please record your serial number and date/place of purchase to expedite support and warranty inquiries.
Cables included with Kilpatrick Audio products carry a thirty (30) day warranty.