What's included in this bundle:
The Dual Borg contains one Borg I (left side) and one Borg II (right side). These are two different filters, each with their own character.
A 12" blue patch cord, 3.5mm / 1/8" mono for Eurorack modular synthesizers.
A 12" green patch cord, 3.5mm / 1/8" mono for Eurorack modular synthesizers.
A 12" red patch cord, 3.5mm / 1/8" mono for Eurorack modular synthesizers.
A 12" yellow patch cord, 3.5mm / 1/8" mono for Eurorack modular synthesizers.
Malekko Heavy Industry Richter Dual Borg contains one Borg I (left side) and one Borg II (right side). These are two different filters, each with their own character. They do not sound the same, nor do they react the same way to your inputs. Dual Borg is a versatile audio processor and the concept comes from a marriage of two divergent influences: the Buchla 292 Low Pass Gate and the Korg MS-20 filter.
The Borg Filter is different from most filters in that it, at its heart, is a vactrol. Vactrols are combination light sensor / light resistors that possess interesting sonic traits. Often described as 'rubbery' or smooth in quality, vactrols are also known for their relatively slow response. This response creates a natural, very musical decay. As a low pass gate (frequency mode), the Borg will act as a filter and a VCA simultaneously. In combination with the characteristic vactrol response, this creates a signature sound that is desired by many synth enthusiasts, especially when used with very short, percussive patches.
But the Borg is no one-trick pony, and low pass gates are not for every patch. When in frequency mode, the Borg is a 12dB filter with loads of personality. Gorgeous resonance (influenced by the MS-20 and shaped by the vactrol design) swells from subtle warmth to a roaring howl that is unique to the Borg. For entering VCA mode, the new push button VCA switches allow instant changeover between modes, great for performances!
A continuously adjustable low pass to high pass control is provided (a notch filter is a mix of these two). Each filter has one audio input and two CV frequency inputs (one with attenuation). Two separate outputs are provided, and output 2 has a slightly more aggressive resonance. Removing either jumper on the back of the filter will make the resonance 'scream' even more! The jumper behind the Borg I effects the Borg I's resonance, and the jumper behind the Borg II changes the Borg II's resonance.
The Borg I (left side) has a slower response and a more mellow sound compared to the Borg II (right side). Thanks to its longer decay time, the Borg I is best for recreating the famous Buchla bongo patch, and the Borg II is best for a faster, more aggressive response.
The signal path of the Dual Borg is selectable: Series or Parallel.
- In Series mode, when you plug into either IN 1 or IN 2, or even both inputs (as a mix), the signal is routed through the Borg I then Borg II filters and both OUT 1 or OUT 2 have the same signal. If you are connected to both outputs, you will only get signal from OUT 2.
- In Parallel mode, a single input into IN 1 or IN 2 is routed through both filters side by side, and a single output (either OUT 1 or OUT 2) will give you a mix of both filters. If you have only one input but two outputs, OUT 1 is the Borg I filter only and OUT 2 is Borg II only. If you have two inputs and two outputs, then each filter is completely separate: IN 1 and OUT 1 is Borg I, IN 2 and OUT 2 is Borg II. To use only one filter, you must patch into both outputs then choose which filter's output you want to hear.
- Two distinct filters
- Borg 1: influenced by Buchla 292 Low Pass Gate
- Borg 2: influenced by Korg MS-20 filter
- Module controls
- FREQ knobs: filter cutoff frequency
- PEAKING knobs: filter peak/resonance control
- VCA buttons: engage VCA for low pass gate mode
- LP/BP/HP knobs: continuously adjustable low pass to high pass control
- CONTROL knobs: attenuation for EXT frequency input
- S/P button: chooses between serial or parallel mode
- Patch points
- IN 1, 2 inputs: audio inputs for each filter
- KEY inputs: key tracking for each filter, CV inputs with no attenuation
- EXT inputs: CV frequency inputs attenuated by CONTROL knobs
- OUT 1, 2: separate audio outputs with different characteristics
- Physical specifications
- Size: 16hp
- Module depth: 25mm
- Power usage: 80mA @ +12V
|Manufacturer||Malekko Heavy Industry|
|Mfg. Included Accessories|
|Module Power Usage||80mA @ +12V|
|Unique Features||Two distinct filters
Series or Parallel modes
Malekko Heavy Industry 1 Year Warranty
Please register your purchase now at Malekko's website.
Malekko Heavy Industry Corporation (hereinafter 'Malekko') warrants that your new Malekko product, when purchased at an authorized Malekko dealer, shall be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. Please contact Malekko for information on warranty and service outside of the USA.
During the warranty period, Malekko shall, at its sole option, either repair or replace any product that proves to be defective upon inspection by Malekko. Malekko reserves the right to update any unit returned for repair and to change or improve the design of the product at any time without notice.
This warranty is extended to the original retail purchaser. This warranty can be transferred to anyone who may subsequently purchase the product provided that such transfer is made within the applicable warranty period and Malekko is provided with all of the following items:
- (i) all warranty registration information for the new owner,
- (ii) proof of the transfer within thirty (30) days of the transfer purchase, and
- (iii) a photocopy of the original sales receipt.
Warranty coverage shall be determined by Malekko in its sole discretion. This is your sole warranty.
Service and repairs of Malekko products are to be performed only by Malekko. Unauthorized service, repair or modification will void this warranty.
Disclaimer and limitation of warranty the foregoing warranty is the only warranty given by Malekko and is in lieu of all other warranties. All implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose, exceeding the specific provisions of this warranty are hereby disclaimed and excluded from this warranty. Upon expiration of the applicable express warranty period (1 year), Malekko shall have no further warranty obligation of any kind, express or implied. Malekko shall in no event be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages suffered by the purchaser or any third party, including without limitation, damages for loss of profits or business, or damages resulting from use or performance of the product, whether in contract or in tort. Malekko shall not be liable for any expenses, claims, or suits arising out of the foregoing.
The Malekko Warranty does not Cover:
- Damage from physical abuse such as dropping the unit, impact from hard objects or damage to external components as a result of negligence.
- Damage due to liquid contamination.
- Damage resulting from any use other than that it was intended for.
- Any unit that has been repaired or had an attempted repair made to it by unauthorized personnel.
- Damage due to incorrect connection, connection to faulty equipment or connection to faulty or incorrect power supplies.
- Damage in transit as a result of inadequate packaging or protection.
When you place an order with Kraft Music, a confirmation will be sent to you via email, with details of your order, including method of shipping. Once your order leaves our facility, you will receive a shipping confirmation via email, with carrier name and tracking number. Many of the products we sell are shipped in the manufacturer box. These boxes will often have images, model numbers, and other text that indicate the contents inside. If your purchase is a gift, please make proper shipping arrangements or contact us about possible packaging options.
Kraft Music is able to ship to the continental US, HI, AK and PR.