Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers Lifeforms Dynamic Impulse Filter
Free - Addictive Keys Virtual Instrument From Focusrite - Click Here For Details
Organic and percussive, Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers Lifeforms Dynamic Impulse Filter utilizes an all-analog design to replicate the impact transients and vibrance of a percussion hit. The result is a versatile filter module that sounds natural and energetic. Dynamic Impulse Filter works in one of three modes: resonant low pass filter, high quality VCA, and a combined low pass gate mode that manages both timbre and loudness at the same time. The core of the filter uses a Sallen-Key topology to produce a smooth two-pole filter that will self-oscillate at high resonance settings.
We love vactrols, too...
The dynamics response control is the key. Historically, low pass gates have used a light-dependent resistor called a vactrol to impart a magical, organic response onto a sound; this unique signature has given the vactrol an almost mythical status in the synth community. However, the venerable vactrol is not without its problems: vactrol response times can vary wildly, creating sonic differences from module to module that cannot be adjusted without replacing the vactrol. The fruit of over two years of research and development, Dynamic Impulse Filter evolves the low pass gate into the present by retaining the sonic characteristics we all love about vactrols while solving all the problems that come with it. The unique design of Dynamic Impulse Filter replaces the vactrol with a modern analog circuit created to replicate and expand on the signature sound of the vactrol. The response time of Dynamic Impulse Filter is not static like a vactrol; instead it is tunable, allowing the response of the module to adapt to any musical context.
Used as a filter, Dynamic Impulse Filter offers a wide sonic palette with smooth frequency sweeps and aggressive resonance. The Dynamics Response control is an essential part of the filter's unique ability to create rich, tunable sounds. The impulse trigger input and the exclusive Dynamics Response control allow the module to add an organic, percussive quality to any sound or become a versatile analog drum generator. Dynamic Impulse Filter will uniquely emulate a wide variety of percussion sounds including snappy deep kicks, woody toms and expressive hand drums to open up a new world of electronic percussive sounds.
The Response output of Dynamic Impulse Filter can be used to control other modules that utilize vactrols. The Response output superimposes the variable Dynamics Response onto vactrol-based modules, allowing the response of a static vactrol to become adjustable. This opens a range of new possibilities for other modules that use vactrols.
- Module controls
- dynamics cv knob: attenuates the incoming dynamics CV signal.
- dynamics response knob: sets the decay time related to the impulse gate input and dynamic CV input.
- dynamics knob: In filter mode, the dynamics knob controls the center frequency of the filter. In VCA mode, the dynamics knob controls the pass-through signal level. In low pass gate mode, the dynamics knob controls both the center frequency of the filter and the pass-through signal level.
- filter mode resonance knob: only active in filter mode, the filter mode resonance knob controls the amount of resonance.
- mode switch: switch among the three module modes. vca position (up) enables VCA mode, both position (center) enables low pass gate mode and filter position (down) enabled low pass filter mode.
- Patch points
- impulse: gate or trigger input used to strike the vactrol and quickly modulate the dynamics of the module.
- in: audio signal input.
- dyn cv: CV input used to modulate the dynamics amount.
- response: dynamics response CV output. This output of the dynamics response circuit is optimized to control the vactrol response of modules utilizing vactrols and is designed to patched into another vactrol-based module's CV input. The response out jack will respond like a gate when used with non-vactrol modules.
- out: audio signal output.
- Physical specifications
- Size: 8hp
- Module depth: 20mm
- Power usage: 35mA @ +12V, 35mA @ -12V. Does not require +5V. Reversed power polarity protection.
|Manufacturer||Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers|
|Mfg. Included Accessories|
|Module Power Usage||35mA @ +12V
35mA @ -12V
|Unique Features||Three modes: resonant lowpass filter, high quality VCA or combined lowpass gate mode|
Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers Limited Warranty
For a period of one year after the date of original purchase, the instrument and all factory installed parts and modules manufactured by Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers LLC. are warranted to function properly and be free of defects in materials and workmanship.
Should a factory installed module fail during the warranty period, contact Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers, LLC. Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers will repair it (or at its option, replace it) at no charge, and pay the cost of shipping it back to you.
The case and all case related hardware are warranted to function properly and be free of defects in materials and workmanship for 1 year.
Patch cables are not covered by the 1 Year Limited Warranty.
This warranty is void if in the opinion of Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers the instrument has been damaged by accident, mishandled, altered, improperly serviced, or repaired by the customer where such treatment has affected its performance or reliability. This includes but is not limited to damage related to incorrectly attaching power ribbon cables. In the event of such misuse/abuse by the customer, costs for repairs plus two-way shipping costs will be borne by the customer. Instruments found defective should be returned to the factory carefully packed, as the customer will be responsible for freight damage.
Incidental or consequential damages or costs incurred as a result of product malfunction are not the responsibility of Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers LLC.
When you place an order with Kraft Music, a confirmation will be sent to you via email, with details of your order, including method of shipping. Once your order leaves our facility, you will receive a shipping confirmation via email, with carrier name and tracking number. Many of the products we sell are shipped in the manufacturer box. These boxes will often have images, model numbers, and other text that indicate the contents inside. If your purchase is a gift, please make proper shipping arrangements or contact us about possible packaging options.
Kraft Music is able to ship to the continental US, HI, AK and PR.