PreSonus Studio One 4 Artist
Studio One 4 was designed with ease of use at its core. For ten years now, it has seamlessly combined the time-tested and proven recording studio model with today’s beat- and loop-oriented production process—so you can bring musical ideas to sonic reality more quickly than ever before.
An efficient, single-screen interface houses an unlimited number of tracks, intuitive editing tools, and advanced virtual instruments. Spend your precious time creating music instead of wondering what to click next. Studio One doesn’t dictate how you work or what you work on. You do.
3 creative paths, one goal
Studio One is your creative companion from start to finish. The Start Page provides what you need to kickstart your creative process—open projects, set parameters, and check for updates and tips. From there, the Song Page is all about recording, arranging, editing, and mixing your music with a complete set of virtual instruments, effects, and groundbreaking arrangement tools. Then, assemble and master your music in the Project Page. Even better, the Project and Song Pages are linked so if you need just that one little change in your master or stems, switch to the Song Page, tweak, and mix back automatically to the Project. No other program accomplishes the goal of such an effortless transition as you move from the initial creative inspiration to the finished, mastered production.
Arranging at the speed of click
Forget laborious transposition, cutting, pasting, and moving when arranging. With Scratchpads to test out arrangements, an Arranger track that makes moving sections of songs around as easy as moving Parts, and the groundbreaking Harmonic Editing—the most flexible chord track implementation ever—no other program can approach the ease of arranging and songwriting that Studio One 4 delivers.
Another Studio One first: Harmonic Editing
Far more than just a simple chord track for note data, Studio One 4’s Chord Track is a songwriter’s dream come true. Create, audition, and change chord progressions, try out chord substitutions, substitute rich chords for simple ones, even have older parts follow a new, better chord structure you came up with thanks to the inspiration Harmonic Editing can provide. This breakthrough, which works with instruments and even draft audio tracks, underscores Studio One’s commitment to streamline the songwriting and music creation process.
Cross the analog/digital divide
Studio One now features a revamped hardware audio device controller for software control of your PreSonus interface’s gain and polarity controls. And if your interface doesn’t have these controls, you get software gain and polarity control of every Input, anyhow! Combine both of these technologies to gently drive your hardware preamps without committing a super-hot signal to disk.
Studio One works with all the standard MIDI gear you know and love, from controllers to tone modules. But once MIDI data arrives into Studio One, it’s converted to a high-resolution, 32-bit internal format. That means no zipper noise on instruments, smoother controller changes and pitch bends, more detailed automation, and other benefits when working in the Studio One environment. And if you need to drive external MIDI gear, you’re covered there too—Studio One translates its high-resolution format back into standard MIDI data if it needs to return to the outside world.
With its rich roster of native plug-ins, Studio One has earned its reputation as a complete production package—and now our latest generation of virtual instruments, based on input from the Studio One community, deliver even more. Impact has been remade into Impact XT, a comprehensive beat and rhythm production environment, and Sample One XT samples, slices, and dices to create great beats and realistic instrument sounds. These new instruments don’t feel like separate plug-ins, but as integrated—and integral—parts of music creation.
Patterns—a giant step forward
The step sequencer has served us well for over half a century—it’s time for Studio One’s new Patterns to step into the future. Tight integration with instrument parts, automation, and Impact XT means that Patterns re-invent step sequencing as a seamless, fast, fun part of making music. Patterns transform step sequencing from mechanical repetition into a truly expressive addition to modern sequencing. Yes, Patterns are about drums… but also melodies, integration with any instrument, step-based automation, variable sequence lengths (polyrhythms, anyone?), unlimited variations, and more.
Studio One Professional is the only DAW that links songs and stems with finished, mixed Projects. Transfer mixes or mixed stems to the Project page for mastering—but if you hear anything you need to change, simply jump back into the Song, make your tweaks, and then mix the revised version back automatically into the Project page to continue mastering. Whether for Red Book-compatible CD burning, digital publishing for streaming, creating DJ sets and playlists, or professional-level DDP import/export for duplicators, the Song page/Project page partnership makes it easy to obtain consistent levels and tonal balance with collections of songs.
- Intuitive single-window work environment with quick and easy drag-and-drop functionality and multi-touch support
- Unlimited audio and instrument tracks, advanced automation features, virtual instruments, buses and FX channels
- Pristine sound quality with native 32-bit floating point resolution and support for up to 384 kHz audio
- Exceptional virtual instruments: Impact XT and SampleOne XT for powerful beat or loop-based composition, live sampling and robust sample editing
- Patterns allow for intuitive drum and melody composition via familiar drum machine / sequencer style UI
- Presence XT sample playback instrument and Mai Tai polyphonic analog modeling synth with character morphing and modulation matrix
- 31 native effects, 5 virtual instruments, optional AU, VST2, VST3 and ReWire support
- Use Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar and Logic shortcut key commands or create your own
- Compatible with ASIO-, Windows Audio- and Core Audio-compliant audio interfaces
- Dropout protection for native low-latency monitoring
- Transient detection with editable markers, drag-and-drop groove extraction
- Melodyne-ready with Audio Random Access (ARA) compatibility
- Single and multitrack comping
- Multitrack note data editing
- Integrated online Cloud Services include the PreSonus Shop, PreSonus Exchange and unique bi-directional SoundCloud integration
There's a good reason so many musicians have switched to Studio One from older, more rigid programs. Built on a modern foundation that's not bogged down by legacy code, Studio One provides an efficient, creative companion from initial inspiration to final master. True to their word, PreSonus listens to the needs of their users, and continues to improve and update within the current iteration. Read below to learn about the updates PreSonus has made since releasing Studio One 4.
Released in December 2019, version 4.6 includes the following updates and more:
- Complete redesign of Empire amp simulator, while adding 5 sought-after amps, 5 classic stomp boxes, and 5 new cabinet impulses
- Major browser updates, allowing users to get new sounds and plug-ins when inspiration strikes
- Exchange 2.0 allows Studio One users to browse, download, review, and preview shared Studio One content from the user community
- Pattern and Arranger received several updates, including converting Instrument Parts to Patterns; both Melodic and Drum Patterns now allow for varied individual note lengths of more than one step
- New Podcast Production template
- New Macro Toolbar page featuring Macros and commands tailored to the specific needs of Podcasters and audiobook producers
Released in May 2019, version 4.5 includes the following updates and more:
- Multi-processing enhancements for virtual instruments
- Redesigned Input Channel section with gain and polarity controls
- Advanced Group management
- I/O Setup options, import and export
- Streamlined Plug-in Manager
- Note editing now goes way beyond MIDI
- Chord Audition
- Event and Track Locks
- Enhanced audio and video format support
|Plug-In Formats||Audio Units
|Operating System Compatibility||Studio One 4 operates on 64-bit operating systems only
macOS 10.11 or higher
Windows 7 (SP1 + platform update), Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 x64
|Licensing Method||Online Authorization|