Based on the wildly influential TB-303, Roland AIRA TB-3 Touch Bassline is a performance-ready bass synth with meticulously authentic sound and intuitive controls engineered to play. It's the TB…evolved.
Nobody could have anticipated what would happen to the world of dance music when Roland's now-legendary TB-303 was embraced by inventive musicians on both sides of the Atlantic. Since the 1980s, TB-303 has been a staple of electronic music. It is the defining sound of acid house and has since been the marquee instrument on an array of groundbreaking electronic dance tracks. It's not only been used to write songs, but it even has songs written about it! In fact, the release of TB-303 has been heralded as one the key events in the history of dance music. Not bad for a little silver box.
Launched in 1981, TB-303 continues to be an indispensable bass synth for dance music. Roland has meticulously analyzed the circuitry of TB-303 piece-by-piece and down to the individual circuit behavior. Using Analog Circuit Behavior technology, Roland has fully reproduced both the sawtooth and square wave oscillators as well as the 18dB/octave ladder low pass filter used in the original TB-303, capturing that unmistakable cutoff and resonance character.
In addition to the faithful reproductions of classic TB tones, TB-3 is packed with 134 sounds that live and breathe. Bubbling synth basses, hard distortion basses, trippy delay sounds and drippy effects. They're all here, and then some.
A TB bass line not only sounds unique, but it has its own trademark feel as well. The TB pulses, it drives, it bubbles and it percolates. That's why Roland worked so hard to faithfully reproduce the accent, slide and step sequencer behavior of the original unit. But their vision went beyond simple reproduction.
The truth is, the step entry on the original TB-303 was difficult to use, the keyboard was difficult to play and special maneuvers were required for the shuffle functions, so Roland experimented with a variety of prototypes in their quest to create the optimal TB interface.
TB-3 is equipped with a brightly-lit green and red pressure-sensitive touch pad that lets you seamlessly create patterns and interact with the unit during performance. In addition to pitch and volume, you can tweak filters and even control modulation by simply pressing down on the pad with your finger. It also makes the keyboard a breeze to play.
- Envelope modulation and decay can be controlled with a single finger
- Switch patterns, transpose and chain patterns with finger gestures
- Internally partitioned at keyboard intervals so it's easy and natural to play in real-time
- XY PLAY mode, where X = continuous pitch change, Y = volume and pressure = modulation
TB-3's evolved step sequencer is a snap to use and allows seamless switching between pattern creation and performance. Of course, an attractive aspect of the original TB-303 was how it would sometimes generate unintended sounds as the user maneuvered through its complex and cryptic pattern creation operation. In order to inject that element of chance and discovery, TB-3 has automatic pattern generation and random pattern modification functions.
TB-3's Scatter function features slicing, reverse, gating and other effects, instantly creating variations, stutters and glitches that would normally require painstaking editing in a DAW. Complex per-step functions are triggered easily with the touch pad and a single finger. Keep things fresh and interesting with 8 different types of Scatter variations and 10 levels of Scatter depth, all controllable in real time and in perfect sync.
Just like the original
- Meticulously crafted using a pristine unit, original spec sheets and archival data
- ACB technology models each component and every aspect of the original TB-303 sound
- Faithful recreation of the original saw and square oscillator waveforms
- Elements that characterize TB-303, such as attack, slide and tie have been fully reproduced, including how they interact with each other
- Authentic filter behavior with smooth response and authentic sound
- Pressure-sensitive touch pad
- 134 captivating sounds including 4 oscillator effects-processed tones
- Bank A: original TB-303 sounds
- Bank B: synth bass sounds
- Bank C: synth lead sounds
- Bank D: sound effects
- Dedicated tempo control with shuffle and tap tempo
- Control built-in effects with smooth, responsive knobs
- 7-segment, 3-character LED display
- Seamless switch between pattern creation and performance
- 16 step indicator lights to aid in pattern creation
- Pattern support for up to 32 steps
- Easy access to shuffle control for basslines that groove
- Enter steps manually or record in real time on the touch pad
- Change step count during playback to alter the length of phrases
- Random pattern generation and pattern modification
- Pattern copy
|Included from Manufacturer||Power supply|
|Number of Keys||12|
|Key Action||Pressure-sensitive touch pad|
|Programs/Presets||134 preset sounds|
|Voices of Polyphony||1|
|Oscillators per Voice||Varies by Sound Engine|
|Effects||Each preset sound has an adjustable effect assigned to it. Effects include:
Ping-pong stereo effect
|Sequencer||Storage for 64 user patterns up to 32 steps each|
|Audio File Playback||No|
|MIDI||In, Out, USB|
|USB Port (to Host)||MIDI, Audio, System Updates|
|Audio Outputs||Dual 1/4" stereo output
1/4" stereo headphones outout
USB tybe B audio
|Onboard Controllers||Touchpad for X/Y effects, envelope modulation and Scatter|
|Product Weight||1 lb. 13 oz.|
|Unique Features||Analog Circuit Behavior technology
Pressure-sensitive touch pad
Control built-in effects with smooth, responsive knobs
Random pattern generation and pattern modification
Roland Limited Warranty
This product is warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year for parts and and ninety (90) days for labor from the date of purchase.