Studio Electronics Boomstar Modular System Modstar SE88 Filter Module
12 MONTH SPECIAL FINANCING*
Applying for Financing is Quick and Easy!
- Apply: There are two easy ways to apply for financing. A credit application can be completed over the phone in a matter of minutes with a Kraft Music team member. Applications can also be completed online.
- Purchase: All financing orders are completed over the phone. Once you're approved, give us a call at 800-783-3368 to place your order! Or you can contact us and set up a time that works best for you!
Terms and Conditions
No interest if paid in full within 12 months*
On purchases of $299 or more made with your Synchrony credit card. All Yamaha products require a $499 minimum purchase amount. Interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the promotional purchase is not paid in full within 12 Months. Minimum monthly payments required.
*Qualifying purchase amount must be on one receipt. No interest will be charged on the promo purchase if you pay it off, in full, within the promo period. If you do not, interest will be charged on the promo purchase from the purchase date. The required minimum monthly payments may or may not pay off the promo purchase by the end of the promo period. Regular account terms apply to non-promo purchases and, after promo period ends, to the remaining promo balance. For new accounts: Purchase APR is 29.99%. Minimum interest charge is $2. Existing cardholders: See your credit card agreement terms. Subject to credit approval.
Credit is extended by Synchrony Bank.
- CELEBRATE SYNTHS OF SUMMER!FREE Limited Edition Synths of Summer shirt with purchase.
Originally debuted in their Omega Series synths and then repurposed for the Boomstar desktop modules, Studio Electronics SE88 is their version of the dual mode Yamaha CS-80 filter. They've twisted and turned the SE88 to 'unflatten the earth,' so to speak: the original CS-80 fed a high pass filter into a low pass filter, but with the SE88 you can select MODE 1's high pass or band reject to feed MODE 2's low pass or band pass, or patch it to reverse that path. The audio signal is completely controllable with input and output levels for each filter. Cherish and respect your filter's input gain stages for a smooth-yet-brassy sound, or shed your mercy to strike hard for boiling, snarling bite, even to the blackout/cutout point*; then — and only then — uniquely blend mode settings for the filter family values you prefer.
To get things merrily modulating, each filter employs attenuverters for frequency and resonance experimentation and decimation. While the SE88 does not self oscillate (Yamaha's didn't either), Studio Electronics did amp up the resonance level for full-throttle squelching. An additional master FM (frequency modulation) attenuverter-controlled level can feed both filters simultaneously, and tracking switches allow for individual keyboard response for each of the contrasting and complementary filter modes.
Of special note
Two audio paths are involved if you are running the '88 filter in series, so both input levels and the seeded output level of the first stage have to be taken into consideration if a clean sound is desired — either that or keep your resonance setting below 3:00 to avoid the fireworks. This beast's resonance is wide open, with no governor in place — hot-rodded — so expect voltaged chaos when you push it past its 'yama-clone' comfort zone.
- Module controls
- FREQUENCY MODE 1 knob: adjusts the frequency (cutoff) of Mode 1
- FM IN knob: adjusts the master frequency modulation input
- FREQUENCY MODE 2 knob: adjusts the frequency (cutoff) of Mode 2
- FM IN knob: adjusts the master frequency modulation input
- 2/3 / 1/3 TRACK switch: toggles tracking options for Mode 1
- FULL / HALF TRACK switch: toggles tracking options for Mode 2
- RESONANCE knob (left): adjusts the resonance of Mode 1's filter
- M1 FM knob: adjusts Mode 1's frequency modulation
- RESONANCE knob (right): adjusts the resonance of Mode 2's filter
- HP / BR switch: toggles between high pass and band reject filter modes for Mode 1
- LP / BP switch: toggles between low pass and band pass filter modes for Mode 2
- M1 RES CV knob: adjusts Mode 1's resonance control voltage
- M2 RES CV knob: adjusts Mode 2's resonance control voltage
- OUTPUT knob (left): Mode 1 audio attenuator
- M2 FM knob: adjusts Mode 2's frequency modulation
- OUTPUT knob (right): Mode 2 audio attenuator
- LEVEL knob (left): Mode 1 audio input attenuator
- LEVEL knob (right): Mode 2 audio input attenuator
- Patch points
- 1 V/O input: one volt per octave control voltage input
- FM IN input: frequency modulation control voltage input
- M1 FM input: Mode 1 frequency modulation input
- M2 FM input: Mode 2 frequency modulation input
- M1 RES CV input: Mode 1 resonance control voltage input
- M2 RES CV input: Mode 2 resonance control voltage input
- M1 IN input: Mode 1 audio input
- M1 OUT output: Mode 1 audio output
- M2 IN input: Mode 2 audio input
- M2 OUT output: Mode 2 audio output
- Physical specifications
- Size: 20hp
- Module depth: 39.7mm (with ribbon cable attached)
- Power usage: 42mA @ +12V, 42mA @ -12V
*BYSIB (Before You Send it Back)
This filter can be 'input driven' to the cutout/cutoff/blackout point, for angry, aggressive unpredictability and staggered, shell-shocked recovery. Studio Electronics wanted it that way; it’s perfectly harmless OpAmp smashing, for smashing good fun. Think 'traumatic movie scene after which an actor’s hearing momentarily disappears (extreme wooziness overtakes the balance of his senses—and camera work), high-pitched sounds follow, and then blessed normalcy of awareness and sensory perception gradually, grudgingly return.' That. No reboot necessary: just sweep the frequency counterclockwise until it snaps back to its 'right mind' and rein in the input and resonance levels—resonance levels below 9:00 are safe, unless of course you want 'that' to keep happening. Taunting the edge is entertaining, too!
|Included from Manufacturer|
|Depth||39.7mm (with ribbon cable attached)|
|Module Power Usage||42mA @ +12V
42mA @ -12V
|Unique Features||Adjustable input level allows for intentional circuit destabilization|
Studio Electronics / Analogia Inc. Limited Warranty
Studio Electronics / Analogia Inc. ('Analogia Inc.') warrants only to the original purchaser of this product from a Analogia Inc.-authorized reseller or distributor that this product will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for one year after date of purchase.
Analogia Inc. reserves the right, before having any obligation under this limited warranty, to inspect the damaged Analogia Inc. product, and costs of shipping the Analogia Inc. product to Analogia Inc. for inspection shall be shared between purchaser and manufacturer: purchaser pays for shipping to Analogia Inc.; Analogia Inc. covers shipping costs back to purchaser.
In order to recover under this limited warranty, purchaser must make claim to Analogia Inc. within 30 days of occurrence of problem, and must present acceptable proof of original ownership: original receipt, warranty card registration, on-line registration, or other documentation Analogia Inc. deems acceptable. Analogia Inc., at its option, shall repair or replace the defective unit covered by this warranty. Please retain the dated sales receipt/invoice as evidence of the original purchaser's date of purchase. You will need it for warranty service. In order to keep this limited warranty in effect, the product must have been handled and used as carefully prescribed in the instructions accompanying the product.
This limited warranty does not cover any damage due to accident, misuse, abuse or negligence, whether willful or otherwise. This limited warranty is valid only if the product is used with the equipment specified in said equipment's manual or on the product box. Please check product manual or product box for details. This limited warranty is non-transferable and does not apply to any purchaser who bought the product from a reseller or distributor not authorized by Analogia Inc., including but not limited to purchases from internet auction sites. This warranty does not affect any other legal rights you may have by operation of law.
Except for the limited warranty provided herein, to the extent permitted by law, Analogia Inc. disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including all warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose. To the extent that any implied warranties may nonetheless exist by operation of law, any such warranties are limited to the duration of this warranty. Some states/provinces do not allow limitations on duration of warranty, so the above limitations may not apply to you.Repair or replacement of this product, as provided herein, is your exclusive remedy. Analogia inc. shall not be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages, including, but not limited to, lost revenues, lost profits, loss of use of software, loss or recovery of data, rental of replacement equipment, 'downtime,' damage to property, and third-party claims, arising out of any theory of recovery, including warranty, contract, statutory or tort. Notwithstanding the term of any limited warranty or any warranty implied by law, or in the event that any limited warranty fails of its essential purpose, in no event will Analogia Inc.'s entire liability exceed the purchase price of this product. Some states/provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state and province to province.
SHIPPING DELAYS ARE A WORLD WIDE EXPERIENCE
You may have seen the images of ships stacking up on the west coast, waiting for their turn to port. This combined with the increased demand for domestic shipping of products from all industries across our nation has resulted in a rapidly fluctuating climate for receiving and shipping products. While we do our best to offer accurate shipping estimates, please remember that complications can arise which may be beyond our control. Know that Kraft Music is here to assist in any way that we can.
- Ground shipping is FREE for all orders $99 and up.
- Our central, midwest location ensures fast delivery times.
- See below for transit day estimates. Please note, these are estimates and are not guaranteed.
Though forcasting shipping times has become increasingly difficult, general FedEx package estimated transit days are as follows:
- Upper Midwest: 1-3 days
- Central US, South East US, and East Coast: 2-4 days
- West Central US: 3-5 days
- West Coast: 4-6 days
- Alaska & Hawaii: 7+ days