The adjustable mics, four-track recording and extended battery life of the TASCAM DR-40 give you the flexibility you need to record tracks anywhere. The DR-40 captures up to four tracks from built-in, high-quality condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The internal mics are adjustable from XY to AB position, helping you to tailor your recording to the sound of the room. A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.
Once recorded, play back your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable speed playback, limiting and low cut filter, and much more – all with TASCAM's simple-to-use interface. No other recorder makes home or live recording as simple as the TASCAM DR-40.
High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in both A-B and X-Y
The "DR-40" is equipped with adjustable unidirectional microphones that can be used for recording in both the A-B position and X-Y position. Advanced microphone placing allows for a wide stereo sound recording or a clear stereo sound recording with less phase difference, making it possible to achieve professional quality recordings.
Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
Proven high sound pressure design that is perfect for loud recordings such as bands or passing trains. It can be used for recoding quiet sound sources such as lectures or for loud sound sources such as rock bands.
Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level when a peak sound is detected and continues recording. The level can be set automatically according to the sound source, so it is easy for anyone to set the optimal level. The "DR-40" has a total of three different input signal level adjustment functions including a peak reduction function.
Tempo change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed
Includes TASCAM's popular VSA (Variable Speed Audition) function from the Trainer Series. The playback speed can be adjusted from 0.5 to 1.5 times, without affecting the pitch. This is helpful in various situations such as when arranging and practicing music, for slowing the speed of recorded conversations, and for speeding up playback of meetings.
Level align feature prevents uneven volume levels
When recording meetings or interviews, there are cases where it is difficult to listen to the playback because the volumes of different people vary. In such cases, the level align function automatically adjusts the sound volume for playback, making it easy to listen.
Locking XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V phantom power
The XLR/TRS stereo inputs make it possible to connect an external condenser microphone and PA console line-level output in addition to the built-in microphone. Highly reliable locking XLR/TRS connectors by NEUTRIK are used. They can be used for supplying phantom power, so general condenser microphones can be used in addition to electret type microphones.
4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording
In addition to normal stereo channel recordings, another set of stereo channels are available making it possible to select one of three operation modes:
- Dual Recording Mode: The same sound source can be recorded at two different levels. A backup file for clipping can be recorded.
- 4CH Mode: Two different stereo materials can be recorded simultaneously. It is possible to perform simultaneous recording using the built-in microphone and an external input.
- Overdubbing Mode: A new sound source can be recorded as a separate channel while listening to a pre-recorded sound source. This is perfect for music production.
MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S stereo microphones
In addition to the A-B/X-Y positions, there is a system for stereo recording using a combination of the omnidirection and bidirectional microphones, and an MS decoding function for connecting microphones for M-S recording. M-S type microphone not included
Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
There is a REMOTE connector that can be used for connecting the optional RC-3F and RC-10 remotes. Hands-free transport control and recording operations can be performed away from the unit.
- Long-time operation of over 20 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Low-cut filter with three levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM recording and long recordings as MP3 files possible
- SD/SDHC cards can be used for recording media
- 2GB SD card is included
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer is possible using USB 2.0
- Powered by 2 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P515U)
- Mini USB cable included
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
|Included from Manufacturer||2GB microSD Card
USB Connection Cable
2 AA Batteries
|Mics||Unidirectional stereo condenser microphones|
|Audio Inputs||2 x TRS/XLR Combo|
|Audio Outputs||3.5mm(1/8') stereo mini jack - Headphones|
|File Formats||BWF, MP3, WAV|
|Recording Format Details||WAV, MP3, BWF|
|Max Storage Capacity||128 GB|
|Storage Format Details||SD Card / SDHC Card|
|USB Functionality||File Transfer/Storage, Power|
|Power Adaptor||AC100 - 240V (sold separately)|
|Batteries||2 AA Batteries|
|Product Weight||7.5 oz|
TASCAM/TEAC Limited Warranty
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. This warranty is only valid within the country the unit was originally purchased.
Except as specified below, this warranty covers all defects in material and workmanship in this product. The following are not covered by the warranty:
- Damage to or deterioration of the external cabinet.
- Damage resulting from accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect.
- Damage resulting from failure to perform basic daily maintenance and/or calibration, or otherwise resulting from failure to follow instructions contained in your owner's manual.
- Damage occurring during shipment of the product (claims must be presented by the carrier).
- Damage resulting from repair or attempted repair by anyone other than TEAC or an authorized TASCAM service station.
- Damage resulting from causes other than product defects, including lack of technical skill, competence, or experience of the user.
- Damage to any unit which has been altered or on which the serial number has been defaced, modified, or removed.
This warranty may be enforced only by the original purchaser.
All parts except heads and disk drives are warranted for one (1) year from the date of original purchase for products not used for commercial purposes. For products used commercially, the warranty is ninety (90) days for magnetic heads & optical pickups, one (1) year for other parts, & ninety (90) days for labor.
TASCAM will pay all labor and material expenses for items covered by the warranty. Payment of shipping charges is discussed in the next section of this warranty.
Your unit must be serviced by an authorized TASCAM service station in the United States. (This warranty is not enforceable outside the U.S.) If you are unable to locate an authorized TASCAM service station in your area, please contact TASCAM. TASCAM either will refer you to an authorized service station or instruct you to return the unit to the factory.
Whenever warranty service is required, you must present both the original dated sales receipt and this warranty statement as proof of warranty coverage.
You must pay any shipping charges if it is necessary top ship the product for service. However, if the necessary repairs are covered by the warranty, we will pay return surface shipping charges to any destination within the United States.
Any implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are limited in duration to the length of this warranty.
TEAC's liability for any defective product is limited to repair or replacement of the product, at TEAC's option. TEAC shall not be liable for:
- Damages bases upon inconvenience, loss of use of the product, loss of time, interrupted operation or commercial loss
- Any other damages, whether incidental, consequential or otherwise
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts and/or do not allow the exclusion or limitations of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.
When you place an order with Kraft Music, a confirmation will be sent to you via email, with details of your order, including method of shipping. Once your order leaves our facility, you will receive a shipping confirmation via email, with carrier name and tracking number. Many of the products we sell are shipped in the manufacturer box. These boxes will often have images, model numbers, and other text that indicate the contents inside. If your purchase is a gift, please make proper shipping arrangements or contact us about possible packaging options.
Kraft Music is able to ship to the continental US, HI, AK and PR.