Tiptop Audio SD808 Analog Snare Drum Module
Tiptop Audio SD808 is the Roland TR-808's analog snare drum circuit adapted for use in eurorack modular synthesizer format and was designed to sound like a fresh-out-of-the-box 1980s TR-808 snare. Adapting the circuit to the modular format has allowed for some special features like independent accent levels, a high-powered gain stage, a dual-input pulse-shaper, and an adjustable noise source — all without compromising the signature sound of the TR-808 snare drum.
SD808 sounds tight and extremely snappy because it's analog — the real thing, not samples. The sound is made with three analog sound generators mixed together: two oscillating sine waves and a noise source. SD808's front panel controls have a lot of sweet spots with sounds that are not just limited to snare drum sounds; it can also create other electronic percussive elements.
The noise source generator in the original TR-808 machines was revised in later production batches, resulting in variations in sound across the production run. SD808 uses this later, revised circuit to create a snare drum hit that is slightly darker, has more body and is more realistic.
Just like other drums in this series, SD808 includes a high-powered output gain stage capable of producing signals up to 20Vpp, allowing you to get an array of harmonized snare drum sounds with even tighter attacks. On the inputs, Tiptop Audio designed a dual-input pulse-shaper circuit so you can trigger SD808 with trigger/gate signals from step sequencers, clock dividers or any other pulse/clock sources. This eliminates the need to shape pulses sent to the module and ensures the same stable sound at peak power regardless of your pulse source. All these unique features make integrating this legendary sound generator into your modular synth easy, unleashing the power of real analog drums.
- Module controls
- LEVEL knob: master output gain level
- TONE knob: sets mix of sine wave T-network oscillators
- SNAPPY knob: controls envelope generator amplitude with slight variation over decay time
- ACCENT knob: accent level control, affects loudness and attack levels
- Patch points
- ACCENT IN input: gate trigger input to trigger accent
- GATE IN input: gate trigger input to trigger snare drum sound
- SD OUT output: audio output
- Physical specifications
- Size: 4hp
- Module depth: 36mm
- Power usage: 18mA @ +12V, 6mA @ -12V
|Included from Manufacturer|
|Module Power Usage||18mA @ +12V
18mA @ -12V
Tiptop Audio Limited Warranty
Tiptop Audio offers the most extensive product warranty on the analog synthesizer market.
The warranty fully covers any defects or malfunction of their modules for one full year.
- Ground shipping is FREE for all orders $99 and up.
- Our central, midwest location ensures fast delivery times.
- See below for transit day estimates. Please note, these are estimates and are not guaranteed.
Generally, package estimated transit days are as follows:
- Upper Midwest: 1-3 days
- Central US, South East US, and East Coast: 2-4 days
- West Central US: 3-5 days
- West Coast: 4-6 days
- Alaska & Hawaii: 7+ days