Zoom TAC-2 Thunderbolt Audio Converter
35TH ANNIVERSARY SALES EVENT!Click HERE for details. EXTENDED 'TILL JULY 22ND!
In today's world, speed is everything. The blazingly fast Zoom TAC-2 interface uses the latest Thunderbolt technology for ultra-low latency and the ultimate in high-quality audio, up to 24-bit/192kHz. Lightweight and portable, yet rugged enough for the road, the TAC-2 is also easy to use, with a single large rotary knob controlling all parameters. Whether using it in your home studio or on the road, you can rely on your TAC-2 to deliver pristine audio.
Routing audio signal to and from editing software
Just connect the TAC-2 to your computer via Thunderbolt and then plug the audio source (such as a portable recorder, mixing console or music player) into the TAC-2's inputs. You can monitor signal coming from the software via headphones or by connecting the TAC-2 outputs to amplifiers or self-powered speakers.
Recording voice and instruments into a DAW
Enhance your music by adding your own instruments and voice. The TAC-2 makes it easy to do: Simply connect microphones and instruments to the inputs and then connect the TAC-2 to your computer's Thunderbolt port. The extreme low latency provided by Thunderbolt technology ensures that you can overdub to existing tracks with little or no audible delay.
Onstage playback of audio from your computer during live performance
Got some great sounds in your laptop? The TAC-2 can bring them to life—simply connect it to your computer with a Thunderbolt cable and then connect the rear panel TAC-2's TRS outputs to your mixing board or PA system. That's all it takes to turn your laptop into an instant live instrument.
Listening to high-resolution streaming audio through headphones or connected speakers
MP3s can sound good, but high resolution audio files—24/96 or 24/192 WAVs—sound way better. Now you can enjoy streamed high resolution files in full fidelity by connecting your computer to the TAC-2 via Thunderbolt and using the TAC-2 headphone jack instead of the one on your computer. Alternatively, you can use the rear panel balanced TRS outputs to connect the TAC-2 to your speakers.
Thunderbolt: The ultimate in high-speed connectivity
More than twice as fast as USB 3.0—not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800—Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency. Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-2 are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing), so there's no need to connect an external master clock source.
In addition, Thunderbolt carries 10 watts/18 volts of power (as compared to the 2.5 watts/ 5 volts carried by USB 2.0)—enough to provide stable phantom power. This also allows the use of high-end components such as the Burr Brown PCM4202 analog-to-digital converter and AKM AK4396 digital-to-analog converter in the TAC-2.
The TAC-2 performs 4-times upsampling during both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. In other words, when the sampling frequency is set to 44.1kHz or 48kHz, the TAC-2 processes the signal at high resolution 176.4kHz or 192kHz. For A/D conversion, this means less aliasing noise; for D/A conversion, this means increased clarity and fidelity.
The Ins and Outs
The Thunderbolt port on the rear panel carries digital signal to and from your computer as well as carrying power to the TAC-2. Two combo XLR/TRS inputs are provided for the connection of mic- and line-level signals, and there's a handy Hi-Z (high impedance) unbalanced input on the front panel for direct connection of passive electric guitars and basses using a standard 1/4" guitar cable. The TAC-2 also offers two balanced TRS output jacks which allow you to connect the TAC-2 to your monitors, as well as a dedicated 1/4" stereo headphone jack.
Zoom TAC-2 MixEfx
TAC-2 MixEfx is a free Macintosh application designed specially for the TAC-2. With TAC-2 MixEfx, you can set mix parameters and add high-quality effects such as reverb and echo. Other features include a low cut filter, phase reverse and AUTO GAIN control for each input. There's also a LOOPBACK function that allows you to blend the input signal and playback signal for zero latency. TAC-2 MixEfx has three memory slots for saving user settings with quick recall.
- 2-in/2-out high speed ThunderboltTM audio interface
- Support for recording and playback up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Ultra-low latency audio streaming
- Two combo balanced XLR/TRS input connectors
- +48V phantom power for each input
- Hi-Z input jack allows direct connection of electric guitar or bass
- Two balanced TRS output jacks for connection to amplifiers or self-powered speakers
- Dedicated headphone jack with independent level control
- High-performance Burr Brown mic preamps with up to +60dB of amplification
- Simple user interface—all operations controlled by a single rotary knob
- Bus powered—no AC power required
- DSP Virtual mixer
- Works with all Thunderbolt-equipped Macintosh computers (OS X 10.6.8 or later)
|Included from Manufacturer||MixEfx Virtual Mixer
|Audio Inputs||(2) Balanced inputs (XLR or ¼”)
(1) Dedicated Instrument 1/4"
|Audio Outputs||(2) Balanced 1/4"
(1) 1/4" Heaphone
|Low-Latency Direct Monitoring||No|
Zoom North America Limited Warranty
The warranty covers defects in material and workmanship in Zoom products purchased and serviced in the USA. The warranty begins on the date of purchase by the original purchaser and ends one (1) year hence.
The warranty does not cover:
- Products subjected to abnormal strain, neglect, abuse, modification, or accidental damage
- Products purchased from dealers or websites not authorized by Zoom North America to sell Zoom products
- Products with trademarks, logos, names, numbers, or other identifying information that have been altered or removed
- Damage occurring during shipment
- Any loss of digital information
The warranty protects the original purchaser of the product exclusively.
Zoom North America will repair or replace parts found, under normal usage, to have defective material or workmanship without charge for labor or parts.
To obtain warranty service:
- Return the warranty registration card within 10 days of original purchase, and be prepared to provide proof of purchase
- Return the product to an authorized dealer, Designated Service Center, or the Zoom North America Service Division for appropriate repairs/services
- If sending your product to Zoom North America, call for a Return Authorization Number first. For assistance in locating an agency or obtaining an RA number, contact Zoom North America. All shipping to and from the service facility must be paid for by customer
- Whenever warranty service is required, you must present both the original dated sales receipt and this warranty statement as proof of warranty coverage
Any implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are limited in duration to the length of this warranty.
Zoom North America's liability for any defective product is limited to the repair and replacement of the product at Zoom North America's discretion. Replacement products may be reconditioned.
Zoom North America shall not be liable for damages based on inconvenience, loss of use, lost profits, lost savings, damage to any other equipment or items at the site of use, or any other damages whether incidental, consequential, or otherwise, even if Zoom North America has been advised to the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts and/or do not allow the exclusion or limitations of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state.
When you place an order with Kraft Music, a confirmation will be sent to you via email, with details of your order, including method of shipping. Once your order leaves our facility, you will receive a shipping confirmation via email, with carrier name and tracking number. Many of the products we sell are shipped in the manufacturer box. These boxes will often have images, model numbers, and other text that indicate the contents inside. If your purchase is a gift, please make proper shipping arrangements or contact us about possible packaging options.
Kraft Music is able to ship to the continental US, HI, AK and PR.