What's included in this bundle:
Building on the tradition of warm and punchy analogue-style synth sounds conceived by legendary synthesizers from the past, Modal Electronics Cobalt8 unlocks the full creative potential of analog waveforms. This powerful, inspiring instrument reinvents the aesthetics of analog sounds and invites musicians, producers and sound designers to explore a new era of virtual analog synthesizer textures far beyond the limits of its analog forebears.
This dual 1/4" cable is designed to connect your instrument to any unit with right and left channels. Great for keyboards, mixing consoles, PA systems, or other sound reinforcement or recording applications.
This convenient dual cable carries both MIDI in and out signals.
This cable is designed to interconnect devices with USB interfaces. It is ideal for connecting an audio interface, USB microphone, USB capable electronic instrument, or many computer peripherals to a Mac or PC.
A 36" green patch cord, 3.5mm / 1/8" mono for eurorack modular synthesizers.
A 36" blue patch cord, 3.5mm / 1/8" mono for eurorack modular synthesizers.
This cable is designed to connect an audio device with a mini stereo 1/8" output to pro audio gear with 1/4" line inputs. It is ideal for connecting an iPod, laptop, smartphone or similar device to a mixing console, amplifier, or recording device.
This cable is great for connecting equipment that uses 3.5mm (1/8") mini connectors like mp3 players, smartphones, tablets, portable CD players, and more.
Building on the tradition of warm and punchy analog-style synth sounds conceived by legendary synthesizers from the past, Modal Electronics Cobalt8M unlocks the full creative potential of analog waveforms. This powerful, inspiring instrument reinvents the aesthetics of analog sounds and invites musicians, producers and sound designers to explore a new era of virtual analog synthesizer textures far beyond the limits of its analog forebears.
On top of the innovative oscillator engine of Cobalt8M, Modal added a morphable 4-pole ladder filter. Combined with unparalleled modulation options, an inspiring realtime/step sequencer, the energizing arpeggiator, MPE, studio-quality effects and MODALapp integration, Cobalt8M is the perfect synth for everyone who wants a versatile electronic music instrument to play vintage synth sounds and is eager to enter new sound dimensions.
8 true polyphonic voices, housed in a sleep desktop and rackmountable enclosure, tempt players to lay out wide string or rich synth pad chords, while a monophonic bass or lead patch played with 64 oscillators can shake the walls of any stadium. And with the avant-garde sound forming features, every synth enthusiast can refine their performance with sounds that no other synthesizer is able to generate.
- 8 voice polyphonic
- 64 high-resolution virtual analog oscillators, up to 8 per voice
- 2 independent and self-contained oscillator groups with sine, pulse, triangle, sawtooth waveforms
- 34 different algorithms including complex analog synthesis techniques, built-in cross-modulation (sync, ring mod and many more), PWM, smooth morphing between VA waves, bit crushing, filtered noise
- Extended oscillator drift
- 4-pole morphable ladder filter with resonance and four switchable configurations
- Resonance and balanced filter modes
- 3 dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions for MOD and FILTER
- 3 audio-rate LFOs with tempo sync (two poly, one global) with seven different shapes
- 8 assignable modulation slots and 4 additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 12 modulation sources and 55 modulation destinations
- Realtime sequencer with 512 notes with polyphonic mode and four recordable/editable parameter animations
- Delay effects, LFOs, sequencer and arpeggiator can be clocked either internally or externally
- Built-in sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability with up to 2,048 steps before repeating
- 3 incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo effects engines for chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, lo-fi, rotary, stereo delay, ping-pong delay, x-over delay and reverb that can be arranged in any order
- 500 patch storage locations, all fully editable
- Ships with 300 factory programs
- 100 sequences that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements
- 100 effects preset storage locations
- 8 quick recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favorite patches
- 4-axis joystick that can be assigned to a huge range of modulation destinations and virtually locked when desired
- Multiple keyboard modes: mono, poly, unison 2, unison 4, unison 8, stack 2 and stack 4
- Glide/portamento with both legato and staccato modes
- Desktop-style steel and aluminum enclosure
- Mounting hardware for 19" racks included
- 1.54" OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times
- Free MODALapp software editor for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- MODALplugin to access Cobalt8M within your DAW with VST3 and AU versions available
2 independent oscillator groups with up to 4 oscillators each generate not only powerful virtual analog goodness, but like no other synthesizer before, 34 unique complex algorithms like sync, ring modulation, waveform morphing and many more are available to increase the creative options for new generation synth sounds. Each algorithm has a simple-to-use pair of controls selected to suit the particular algorithm or character, providing musicians the power of traditionally complex oscillator modulations or processes spontaneously.
Cobalt8M's self-oscillating 4-pole morphable ladder filter with resonance injects more warmth and bite. Switch among the four different filter modes, get creative with the notch filter and form unusual synth textures with Phasor. Two different characteristics allow you to install a more subtle behavior or process the sound with sheer raw power.
Three flexible audio-rate LFOs can be routed to a massive amount of destinations using the modulation matrix and sync to internal or external tempo. Three dedicated envelopes for the filter, amp and modulation allow precise control over dynamics and expression. Switchable envelope types provide greater options to tailor the envelopes for specific sound purposes. Cobalt8M's sophisticated 12-slot modulation matrix supports easy assignments of complex modulation routes to keep the sound evolving. Four common modulation routings are pre-set here to free up space for more exciting ideas.
The integrated 512-note realtime/step sequencer with four powerful animation lanes invites you to compose massive and complex melodic patterns. The polyphonic 64-note step sequencer mode enables easy step input for note and animation values. Multiple sequencer trigger modes coupled with the powerful onboard arpeggiator (programmable up to 32 steps) and performance features such as chord hold, inversion, transpose and sustain latch.
Reshape your sounds completely with the onboard stereo effects. Cobalt8M comes with a 3-slot effects engine with in-depth effects programming. To polish the sound, a total of 11 effects algorithms add character and depth, including chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, l-fi, rotary, stereo delay, ping-pong delay, x-over delay and reverb.
Set to be played in any synth environment, Cobalt8M comes with all physical connections required. Control the synth using USB, monitor with headphones or using the dedicated line outputs, sync with external gear using the full-size MIDI in and out or the 1/8" sync connections and take control of your sound using the sustain and expression inputs. By poly-chaining any two Cobalt8 devices, the amount of voices is easily doubled to 16 voices and 128 oscillators.
The free MODALapp companion software brings the comfort of screen-based editing on your computer or mobile device. Available as a standalone app for macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS or Android systems and in VST3 and AU plug-in formats, it is the perfect companion for synth enthusiasts looking to dive deep into all sound-forming and performance parameters to create their own signature sounds and to back up and manage patches and sequences.
Over 600 additional patches from some of the best sound designers are available for download at Modal's website with more being added all the time. Find the perfect patch, get some inspiration to create your own – all free!
|Included from Manufacturer||Rackmount hardware
|Number of Keys||None|
|Programs/Presets||500 patch storage locations, all fully editable
Ships with 300 factory programs
|Voices of Polyphony||8|
|Oscillators per Voice||Varies by Sound Engine|
|Effects||3 × independent stereo effects engines
Chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, lo-fi, rotary, stereo delay, ping-pong delay, x-over delay and reverb
|Sequencer||Realtime 512-step sequencer with quantize
4 × recordable/editable parameter automation lanes
|MIDI||In, Out, USB|
|USB Port (to Host)||MIDI, System Updates, Editor/Librarian/Patch Manager|
|Audio Inputs||1/8" stereo external audio input|
|Audio Outputs||Dual 1/4" stereo output
1/4" stereo headphone output
|Control Connections||1/8" sync input
1/8" sync output
|Onboard Controllers||4-axis assignable modulation joystick|
|Product Weight||4.63 lb|
|Unique Features||MODALapp editor and patch librarian available as standalone app, Audio Unit or VST plug-in|
Modal Electronics Ltd. Limited Warranty
One year Parts and Labor on all Modal Electronics Ltd. products. Warranty covers all defects in material and workmanship.
The following are not covered: damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, product modification or neglect; damage occurring during shipment; damage from failure to follow instructions contained in the instruction manual; damage resulting from unauthorized repairs; or damage caused by improper installation; or damage caused by AC power overvoltage conditions.
Modal Electronics Ltd.'s liability is limited to the repair or replacement, at its option, of any defective product and shall not include incidental or consequential damages. Modal Electronics Ltd. reserves the right to replace a discontinued model with a comparable model. Any replacement units or parts may be new or rebuilt.
SHIPPING DELAYS ARE A WORLD WIDE EXPERIENCE
You may have seen the images of ships stacking up on the west coast, waiting for their turn to port. This combined with the increased demand for domestic shipping of products from all industries across our nation has resulted in a rapidly fluctuating climate for receiving and shipping products. While we do our best to offer accurate shipping estimates, please remember that complications can arise which may be beyond our control. Know that Kraft Music is here to assist in any way that we can.
- Ground shipping is FREE for all orders $99 and up.
- Our central, midwest location ensures fast delivery times.
- See below for transit day estimates. Please note, these are estimates and are not guaranteed.
Though forcasting shipping times has become increasingly difficult, general FedEx package estimated transit days are as follows:
- Upper Midwest: 1-3 days
- Central US, South East US, and East Coast: 2-4 days
- West Central US: 3-5 days
- West Coast: 4-6 days
- Alaska & Hawaii: 7+ days