PWM Mantis Hybrid-Analog Duophonic Synthesizer
12 MONTH SPECIAL FINANCING*
Applying for Financing is Quick and Easy!
- Apply: There are two easy ways to apply for financing. A credit application can be completed over the phone in a matter of minutes with a Kraft Music team member. Applications can also be completed online.
- Purchase: All financing orders are completed over the phone. Once you're approved, give us a call at 800-783-3368 to place your order! Or you can contact us and set up a time that works best for you!
Terms and Conditions
No interest if paid in full within 12 months*
On purchases of $299 or more made with your Synchrony credit card. All Yamaha products require a $499 minimum purchase amount. Interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the promotional purchase is not paid in full within 12 Months. Minimum monthly payments required.
*Qualifying purchase amount must be on one receipt. No interest will be charged on the promo purchase if you pay it off, in full, within the promo period. If you do not, interest will be charged on the promo purchase from the purchase date. The required minimum monthly payments may or may not pay off the promo purchase by the end of the promo period. Regular account terms apply to non-promo purchases and, after promo period ends, to the remaining promo balance. For new accounts: Purchase APR is 29.99%. Minimum interest charge is $2. Existing cardholders: See your credit card agreement terms. Subject to credit approval.
Credit is extended by Synchrony Bank.
We'll contact you with the latest ETA
PWM Mantis is a collaboration between the late Chris Huggett (EDP Gnat, EDP Wasp, OSCar) and PWM (Paul Whittington). In development over the last period of his life, Chris threw everything he could into Mantis. Although incomplete when he passed away, he handed his part of the project over to Paul to continue and to see what, if anything, could be made of it – he really was so humble in his work!
- Hybrid-analog synthesizer: mathematically-generated oscillators with a pure analog signal path
- Heritage sound: a modernized design architecture based on EDP Wasp with an OSCar-style filter designed by the late, great Chris Huggett
- Duophonic: two fully independent voices, each with two oscillators plus sub-oscillator per voice
- Dual filters: multi-mode state variable VCA filters with overdrive per voice that can be combined in series or parallel with width control
- 2 LFOs with 4 waveform types and sync
- Arpeggiator with 6 modes, tap tempo, swing and sync & unique duophonic arp mode
- Reverb with low & high pass filtering and 4 chorus modes
- 37-note full-size semi-weighted keybed with aftertouch plus multi-function joystick
- Fully featured MIDI/USB control for easy integration with any studio or live environment
The Mantis oscillators are generated at boot-up using complex mathematics. They run on a DSP chip that gives ultimate stability and control without compromising their unique sound. This is what makes the synth a hybrid, but don’t be fooled: everything after that through the mixer, gain staging and the filter is analog.
The filter is a multi-mode state variable VCA filter with overdrive. It is built using the SSI2164 chip in special configuration designed by Chris Huggett. There are two filters, one for each analog signal path. They can be combined in series or parallel and used with the width control and width modulation to create that distinctive sound only heard on OSCar.
Mantis has two onboard digital effects: reverb and chorus. Reverb has a time and level adjustment but also a high and low pass filter that can be switched in to limit unwanted lower mud and/or higher bouncy twinkles.
Mantis has two ADSR envelopes, but each has an additional 'sustain fall' parameter and negative and positive velocity modulation level hardwired for convenience. 'Sustain fall' allows you to create a drop before release even while a key is held for greater sound design possibilities. Each envelope can also be put into repeat mode to act as a pseudo LFO if you wish.
The gain staging on Mantis is, of course, all analog and is run through the SSI2164 VCAs – there a few of them in the design! The signal is actually amplified twice to ensure the overdriven sound is warm and clips naturally.
|Included from Manufacturer||USB-C to USB-A cable
USB power supply
|Number of Keys||37|
|Key Action||Semi-weighted with aftertouch|
|Programs/Presets||200 preset storage locations
100 factory presets
|Voices of Polyphony||2|
|Oscillators per Voice||2 plus Sub|
|MIDI||In, Out, Thru, USB|
|USB Port (to Host)||MIDI|
|Audio Outputs||Dual 1/4" stereo output
1/4" stereo headphone output
|Control Connections||1/4" expression pedal input
1/4" footswitch input
|Onboard Controllers||Multi-function joystick|
|Product Weight||11.68 lb|
PWM Warranty Statement
Malevolent comes with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty from the date of purchase.
Please do not insert anything into the trim pot holes located just above the 1V/Oct jacks in each of Malevolent's VCO sections. These trim pots are for manufacturer and service use only. Insertion of anything into these holes will invalidate your warranty.
- Ground shipping is FREE for all orders $99 and up.
- Our central, midwest location ensures fast delivery times.
- See below for transit day estimates. Please note, these are estimates and are not guaranteed.
Generally, package estimated transit days are as follows:
- Upper Midwest: 1-3 days
- Central US, South East US, and East Coast: 2-4 days
- West Central US: 3-5 days
- West Coast: 4-6 days
- Alaska & Hawaii: 7+ days