SP samplers are the bona fide kings of performance-based beatmaking, celebrated for their distinctive sound and ability to create rapid-fire beats anywhere, anytime. Carefully refined through community feedback and extensive research and development, Roland SP-404MKII is the ultimate SP sampler. It's faster and better than ever, with a vivid OLED display, expressive new pads, expanded effects, fluid sequencing and sampling and a massive library of authentic sounds to inspire your music.
- Vivid OLED display for visual waveform editing, full menu access and more
- 17 velocity-sensitive RGB pads with no-click design for smooth playability
- Faster workflow with quick startup and load times, 16GB internal storage, low-latency pads and rapid sample editing
- Compact, ultra-lightweight 2.6 lb design with versatile power options: USB-C, mobile battery (via USB-C port), six AA batteries or included AC adaptor
- Extensive onboard effects, including SP classics like vinyl simulator and DJFX looper, new lo-fi, cassette simulator and resonator effects and dedicated vocoder, auto pitch and guitar amp simulator effects for the mic/guitar input
- 32-voice polyphony, 160 samples per project and 16 internal projects for expanded programming possibilities
- Blazing onboard sample editing with realtime or auto-chop mode, auto BPM detect, envelope, pitch shift and resampling for layering sounds and phrases
- Pre-loaded sound library with 144 high-quality, professionally recorded samples and patterns
- Extensive customization options with removable metal faceplate, downloadable outline template, multiple screensavers and personalized startup logos
- Upgraded I/O includes 1/4" line in/out, 1/4" mic/guitar input, 1/4" and 1/8" headphones outputs and 1/8" TRS MIDI in/out
- New resampling workflow for re-recording with various effects for detailed sound design
- Audio capture and streaming supported with mobile devices and computers via USB-C*
- Skip Back Sampling to automatically capture up to 25 seconds of audio from your last performance
- Bus FX for layering multiple effects with customizable routing for creating intricate sound textures
- Adjustable quantization and shuffle percentage across multiple note resolutions to customize swing
- Pattern sequencer with the ability to create full songs with BPM per bank, ideal for running backing tracks or programming performances
- Chain patterns for automatic playback and use Pad Link to trigger up to four samples with a single press
- DJ mode enables new approaches to live performance by manipulating and mixing two separate audio files
- SP-404MKII editor software for Mac and Windows provides direct sample access, detailed waveform editing, sample management, pad assignment and import of MIDI files and legacy SP-404SX and SP-404A projects
*A supported iOS mobile device with a Lightning connector can be connected to SP-404MKII via USB-C using the appropriate Apple adaptor cable. SP-404MKII must be powered with the included AC adaptor or 6 AA batteries (sold separately) in this circumstance. See the SP-404MKII Reference Manual for more USB-C connection info.
Bigger, better, faster, stronger
SP-404MKII has everything people love about its predecessor with some serious upgrades, like 17 ultra-expressive pads and updated knobs for smooth, hands-on control. Beatmaking is even quicker with a speedy boot time, swift project loading and sample import and easy project access via 16GB of internal storage. Longtime users and new beatmakers alike will feel right at home with the intuitive layout and classic SP effects, plus a revamped sampling and sequencing workflow, Skip Back Sampling for quick performance capture, DJ mode to mix beats live and more.
People who make music with SP samplers love the rapid workflow, portability and tactile approach they offer. SP-404MKII takes this experience even further, retaining a lightweight-yet-rugged design while adding features that make it even easier to create in any scenario. Bang out beats anywhere with AA or mobile battery power, capture audio from or stream direct to your mobile device via USB or collaborate with a partner using the dual headphone outputs and mic/guitar input.
A sampler with soul
With SP404MKII's vivid OLED screen and zoomable waveform view, sample editing is smooth like butter. Chop up samples by tapping out edit points in real time or use auto chop to slice samples automatically. Then, finesse them with envelope and pitch shift and use the new resampling workflow to re-record patterns and effects layers for detailed sound design. And with Skip Back Sampling, you can instantly grab those golden moments by capturing up to 25 seconds of audio from your last performance.
All about effects
Process, flip and twist your sounds with legendary SP effects and a selection of new classics. SP staples like vinyl simulator and DJFX looper are now joined with powerful additions that include lo-fi, cassette simulator and resonator. Layer and route multiple simultaneous bus effects for intricate sound textures or plug into the mic/guitar input and jam with ready-to-go vocoder, auto pitch and guitar amp simulator effects.
SP-404MKII gives you the flexibility to create patterns with unique feel and energy. There's adjustable input quantize and shuffle for custom swing, Pad Link for firing off multiple samples with a single tap, a roll button for variable note repeat and BPM-per-bank for instant tempo changes. It's also possible to organize patterns for different sets and chain them together to automate playback. With your hands freed up, you can stretch out on the SP effects controls or let rip on your favorite synth.
You work hard to be a unique artist, so why play on cookie-cutter gear that looks like everyone else's? Personalize your SP-404MKII with your own style or branding for a look that's as distinctive as your sound. Grab the faceplate template to create custom overlays, style your startup screen with personalized logos or select a screensaver that matches your vibe.
SP-404MKII app, sample packs and more on Roland Cloud
Download the SP-404MKII app from Roland Cloud Manager to go even deeper with your Mac or Windows computer. Access more detailed waveform editing, assign samples to pads and import MIDI files and legacy SP-404SX and SP-404A projects for remixing and updating. And while you're there, check out the exclusive Beatmaker Sample Pack series for more sonic material from legendary sound designers and musicians to inspire your next production.
|Included from Manufacturer||Power supply|
|Number of Keys||None|
|Programs/Presets||160 samples per project
16 internal projects
Pre-loaded sound library with 144 samples
|Voices of Polyphony||32|
Guitar amp simulator
|Sequencer||Pattern length: 1 to 64 bars
Resolution: 480 ticks, quarter note
Recording method: realtime loop recording with shuffle quantize function
|Sampling||Onboard sampling via 1/4" stereo line in, mic/guitar input or 1/8" stereo input|
|Internal Storage Capacity||Storage via SD card slot with support for SDHC cards up to 32GB|
|MIDI||In, Out, USB|
|USB Port (to Host)||MIDI, System Updates, Editor/Librarian/Patch Manager|
|Audio Inputs||Dual 1/4" stereo line input
1/4" mic/guitar input with input gain control
|Audio Outputs||Dual 1/4" stereo output
1/4" stereo headphone output
1/8" stereo headphone output
|Onboard Controllers||17 × velocity-sensitive RGB pads with no-click design|
|Expansion||SD card slot with support for SDHC cards up to 32GB|
|Product Weight||2 lb 7 oz.|
Roland/Boss Consumer Limited Warranty
This limited warranty applies only to Roland and Boss products purchased in the United States of America.
Roland Corporation U.S. warrants to the first consumer only of a covered product purchased from an authorized Roland dealer in the U.S. that this product will be free from defects in materials for a period of one (1) year or defects in workmanship for a period of ninety (90) days. Please register this product online to establish the date of purchase (not a requirement for warranty service).
To exercise your rights under this Warranty as a purchaser, you must ship this product in appropriate packaging at your expense (insurance is recommended), together with proof of purchase, to Roland Corporation U.S., or to such other address as may be instructed by Roland Corporation U.S. (This shipping requirement shall not apply to those Roland products covered by in-home warranties). You should submit a new service request to obtain a Return Authorization number for the returned product. Any products shipped to Roland Corporation U.S. without a Return Authorization number shall be refused.
Roland Corporation U.S. will repair or replace this product at its sole option at no charge to you for parts or for labor within the warranty period; provided, however, that Roland Corporation U.S. reserves the right to determine whether the product is 'defective' for purposes of this Limited Warranty. This Warranty does not apply to damage to this product that occurred as a result of abuse or misuse, abnormal service or handling, battery leakage or failure, damage which may have been caused either directly or indirectly by another product, or if the product has been altered or modified in any way, or if the damage was caused by repairs or service provided or attempted by anyone other than Roland Corporation U.S. or a Roland Authorized Service Center.
In no event shall Roland Corporation U.S. be liable for any indirect, incidental, collateral, exemplary, punitive, consequential or special damages or losses arising out of your purchase of products and/or out of this warranty, including without limitation, loss of use, profits, goodwill or savings or loss of data, music, electronic files, or programs that may have been stored by a user of the product even if Roland Corporation U.S. has been advised of the possibility of such damages or claims. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, punitive, or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
Where applicable, if you qualify as a 'consumer' under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, then you shall be entitled to any implied warranties allowed by law for the period of the Limited Warranty as set forth above. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. Except as stated above, the foregoing warranties are in lieu of all other conditions or warranties, express, implied or statutory, including without limitation, an implied condition or warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and of any other warranty obligation on the part of Roland Corporation U.S.
Roland Corporation U.S. does not assume or authorize assumption of liability for it or any other warranty, either express or implied. This Limited Warranty gives U.S. purchasers specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from State to State.